Update – First road test here.
I am cramming the miles in this spring trying to get fit again and since I sold my winter bike to a friend I have been riding on £2,000 worth of carbon rims for the last few weeks. Not wanting to destroy them before the summer I have invested in a new set of winter or training wheels.
The 2016 Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG wheel set was the clear choice based on price, for £299 they seem to offer great value for money. That’s good and bad news from this reviewers point of view, they are very affordable but I dont know how objective I can be getting off the 50mm carbons and getting on to these.
Lets see what’s in the box and give you some first impressions.
In the very substantial box [no joke, even the box said quality] we find the following;
- A pair of wheels, both with plugs in the ends of the axles.
- The accessories envelope.
- A pair of skewers.
- The cassette spacer.
- Fitted rim tapes.
Everything in order, neat and tidy.
This is what Fulcrum have to say about their wheels;
- 35mm is not just any number.
- Every tiny detail of the Racing Quattro LG has been painstakingly optimised to offer the rider perfect balance and performance in all situations.
- Aerodynamic and easy to ride these road bike wheels are ideal for long level straights, but still deliver outstanding results uphill.
- Versatile and aggressive, these wheels are perfect for riders who enjoy putting themselves against a different type of route every day.
- New 35mm aluminum road bike rims with a wider section: ETRTO 17C, external width 23,2 mm.
- Developed to strike the perfect balance between aerodynamic efficiency, handling and lightness, the 35mm rim profile increases torsional and lateral stiffness compared with a conventional profile, for improved high speed stability.
- Oversized hub body in aluminium provides a high degree of lateral stiffness and reduces the weight to a minimum.
- Adjustable ball bearing system in ultra high quality steel for reduced friction and maximum performance even after extensive use.
- Quick and easy to adjust.
- Aluminium axle reduces the overall weight of the wheel.
- Oversized flange on the drive side provides greater torsional stiffness, increases reactivity at any change in rhythm of the pedal stroke.
- Exclusive processing system of the 5 axis hub. This allows the spokes seat to be created perfectly in line with the tensioning line.
- This solution allows equal tension values to be obtained at every point of the spoke; it reduces stress on the rim and the spokes and keeps the road bike wheels balanced.
Spokes and nipples
- Double-butted steel spokes (18 front, 21 rear) with aero profile enable maximum aerodynamic penetration.
- Aluminium nipples make it possible to reduce the peripheral mass of the wheel to the minimum, thus increasing its reactivity.
Fulcrum also list 5 key benefits as follows;
Dynamic Balance™ – Aluminium rims
- For top models, this is obtained by a special operation on the section of the rim opposite the rim joint.
- For entry-level models, Dynamic Balance™ is obtained by using two oversized spokes in the section opposite the joint. The result is a wheel with perfectly balanced rotational dynamics.
- When you push on the pedals, the rotational force on the sprocket induces a slackening of the freewheel spokes with a consequent loss of rim tension. This results in undesirable flex of the whole wheel and an unavoidable loss of energy. Fulcrum® has solved this classic cycling problem with its 2:1 Two-to-One™ Spoke Ratio patent, by doubling the spokes in the critical zones.
- This new system raises the concept of spoking to a new level of performance for road bike and triathlon wheels.
- The Fulcrum® engineers have redesigned the spokes and the hub housings to create a solid and unmoveable whole. The result is that the spokes
a) will never lose their initial tension, thus keeping the wheel perfectly reactive and centred
b) will remain in the position that have been studied in the wind tunnel tests to ensure the best aerodynamic penetration possible.
F.I.C. Fulcrum Identification Card – 100% HANDMADE QUALITY
- Right from its inception Fulcrum® has been marked by feature that continues to this day: that is to design, prototype and industrialise all the wheels characterised by the red “F”.
Indeed these take shape inside of the R&D, the leading-edge department that represents the beating heart of the Italian company.
- Every single component of the wheel, the materials chosen and the technologies applied are the tangible result of the effort that Fulcrum® makes every day to give you maximum performance and reliability.
- A guarantee of quality
- The keyword for our products is: rechable.
- If you find a little label attached to any Fulcrum® product, do not remove it. It will provide you a guarantee in case of an ascertained defectiveness of a production batch, and so the component needed or wheel will be traceable.
- All this because, devoted to its mission, Fulcrum® demands the absolute perfection and safety for its customers.
Next stop; I fitted them to my daily road bike with the tyres removed from my usual carbon rims and headed out for a real world road test.